Friday 8 October 2010

Nobel Prize for Literature 2010 goes to Mario Vargas Llosa from Peru

I was going to start this blog with my favourite book ever but since the Nobel Prize for Literature has just been announced, I think I’d like to mention the author. Jorge Mario Pedro Vargas Llosa or Mario Vargas Llosa for short, Peruvian-Spanish writer, received the award “for his cartography of structures of power and his trenchant images of the individual’s resistance, revolt, and defeat.”
Contrary to some of the latest Nobel prize authors (including last year’s German writer Herta Müller), I did know this author and even read one of his books, “The Storyteller” (El Hablador). The main character leaves Western civilization and lives among the Machiguenga Indians in the jungle of Peru. He becomes their storyteller. The writing is unique, the style different, the story mystical and mythical. A very interesting novel. Since this is not the first book mentioned in any of the articles I have seen so far, I will look out for other works of this author.

I read “Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter” in the meantime, wonderful book.

Mario Vargas Llosa received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2010 "for his cartography of structures of power and his trenchant images of the individual's resistance, revolt, and defeat".
Mario Vargas Llosa received the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade (Friedenspreis) in 1996.

Photo by Goodreads.

I contribute to this page: Read the Nobels and you can find all my blogs about Nobel Prize winning authors and their books here

No comments:

Post a Comment