Tuesday 1 March 2011

Angelou, Maya "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

Angelou, Maya "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" - 1969

The author has led a very difficult life - at least in her youth. And she tells us all about it in this book. Racism, poverty, growing up with different caregivers, child abuse, early pregnancy. Even though there are a lot of bad things happening in her life, she never loses her humour.

I have enjoyed reading this book and have a great respect for anyone overcoming such a background and making something of themselves.

From the back cover:
 
 "Sent by their mother to live with their devout, self-sufficient grandmother in a small Southern town, Maya and her brother, Bailey, endure the ache of abandonment and the prejudice of the local 'powhitetrash.' At eight years old and back at her mother's side in St. Louis, Maya is attacked by a man many times her age - and has to live with the consequences for a lifetime. Years later, in San Francisco, Maya learns that love for herself, the kindness of others, her own strong spirit, and the ideas of great authors ('I met and fell in love with William Shakespeare') will allow her to be free instead of imprisoned.

Poetic and powerful,
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will touch hearts and change minds for as long as people read."

See more comments on my ThrowbackThursday post in 2023.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review! Short and succinct yet persuading me to have a go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. This one is very short but when all is said that's important ...

      Anyway, let me know how you enjoyed the book. I'm sure you'll like it.

      Delete
  2. Another classic read I loved!! I'm a huge fan of Maya Angelou's writing. I had the honor of seeing/hearing her speak live at a couple of events... She'd sing, dance and recite poetry and share the most amazing stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, you've been very lucky there, Lisa. I have only seen interviews by her and she was remarkable. What a lady.

      Delete